Sunday, March 6, 2011

Be Yourself!

“I think of life itself now as a wonderful play that I've written for myself, and so my purpose is to have the utmost fun playing my part.” ~Shirley MacLaine~

Take a moment to ponder about your life. Search deep within and ask yourself, "Am I trying to be someone I am not? Am I acting in ways which do not define who I am? Am I letting the world define me rather than me defining myself?" If you are allowing the world to slap a label on who you "are"....rather who the world wants you to be, then you need to take control by discovering yourself and recognizing how much you have to offer this world. Everyone has something to offer! You just have to discover yourself! Understand who you truly are; that you are unique and equipped with the talents and the personality that will allow you to benefit yourself as well as others. Do not worry about what people think of you, because even though they or you may think it matters, it doesn't!

Too many people try to be someone else whom they believe is much "cooler" and "better-looking" than they are. People say "I wish I could be like him/her. He/she is much more talented and good-looking than I am." Our society creates ideal idols whom they say you must copy in order to succeed in this world. I would give you examples, but I think you know exactly what I am speaking of. Please know that the world needs you! You are not a clone of another individual. Whether or not the world chooses to admit it, it needs your unique personality and talents, not a million copies of the same artist, writer, actor, musician, etc.

A longing for a different path than that which was placed in front of you is a dangerous road. You must know yourself and thereby know the direction you must take. Stay there! Don't attempt to place yourself on someone else's path. Our paths intersect giving us the opportunities to bless others with our personalities and talents, but every path and purpose in this world must be filled. If you stray onto a road that is not yours, you will be depriving yourself and the world of so many opportunities and blessings; leaving dark holes in your life as well as the lives of others.

The purpose of life is to discover yourself, to understand your personality, your talents, and your gifts. Have fun with your life as you discover the many things you are capable of. Don't waste those wonderful blessings by attempting to be a copy of the ideal! As Shirley MacLaine stated, "have the utmost fun playing [your] part."

Thomas Stanley, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment